The 2020-2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program
The U.S. Embassy Hanoi and the U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City is pleased to announce the 2020-2021 Fulbright Teaching Excellence and Achievement (TEA) Program. Funded by the U.S.
Department of State, the Fulbright TEA Program provides middle and high school teachers with unique opportunities to develop expertise in their subject areas, enhance their teaching skills, and increase their knowledge about the United States. Complete applications must be submitted ONLINE no later than March 16, 2020.
The Fulbright TEA Program consists of a six‐week non‐degree, non‐credit customized academic program including seminars on new teaching methodologies, curriculum development, lesson planning, and instructional technology. Participants will also participate in a practicum in a U.S. secondary school near the host university to work closely with U.S. teachers and teach and present to U.S. students. Cultural enrichment, mentoring, and support will be provided throughout the program.
The international participants will travel to the United States in either spring of 2021 or fall of 2021. Up to five teachers will be selected from Vietnam for this program.
All participant costs, including program administration, international and domestic travel and ground transportation, housing and subsistence, health insurance, and book, cultural, mailing and incidental allowances will be sponsored by the U.S. Department of State.
Selection Process and Criteria
Fulbright TEA Fellows will be selected through a merit-based open competition based on the criteria below. Top candidates will be interviewed by a U.S. Embassy/U.S. Consulate General interview panel.
• Be citizens of Vietnam;
• Be current secondary school-level, full-time teachers at a public school in Vietnam (including both middle and high school teachers serving students between approximately 12 and 18 years of age);
• Have five or more years of classroom experience in TEA teaching disciplines: English, English as Foreign Language, Social Studies, Mathematics, Science, or Special Education;
• Have earned a bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
• Demonstrate a commitment to continue teaching after completion of the program; and
• Obtain a minimum score of 450 on paper based TOEFL or equivalent English language examination (Candidates are encouraged but NOT required to submit a certificate of English language proficiency. The U.S. Embassy and U.S. Consulate General will arrange a free internet-based TOEFL test for the shortlisted candidates).
The following individuals are NOT eligible: Officials from the Ministry of Education and Training or provincial Departments of Education and Training, full-time principals or educational administrators, full-time teacher trainers, university faculty, private English language tutors, and teachers from schools primarily serving expatriates.
Applicants who have recently participated in similar programs in the U.S. or other Western countries will be given lower priority. Teachers working in under-resourced communities will be given higher priority.
How to Apply?
Applications must be submitted online at: https://oas.irex.org/fulbrighttea/
Submission deadline: March 16, 2020
• Mr. Lê Dương, Deputy Director, Regional English Language Office, U.S. Embassy Hanoi. Email: LeDT@state.gov or telephone: 024-3850 5000.
• Ms. Trần Nguyễn Hạnh Nguyên, English Language Coordinator, Public Affairs Section, U.S. Consulate General, Ho Chi Minh City. Email: TranNNH@state.gov or telephone 028-35204625.